I’m straying away from the sweet baked goods today and sharing one of my more healthier recipes with you. As the days get colder I love to dig into a warm bowl of soup for lunch or tea. It really is the most effective way to warm yourself up from the inside out! Whether you’re packing this up in the flask to help you defrost at lunch time or you’re serving yourself a huge bowl for tea with some special crusty bread. This recipe is simple, full of goodness and full of spices (not spicy hot though) to really warm you up, it can be altered so easily to make just the right amount that you need. Feel free to play around with this recipe, I definitely didn’t stick to strict measurements and just threw things in as I went along – the trick is in the taste testing throughout 🙈 I apologise if that’s anyone’s pet hate, but how else are you supposed to trust you’ve made it right 🤷♀️ please do tell me!
So I suggest you get a little creative and if there’s a particular spice or veg which you favour then go with that and improvise the rest, or as Jasmine likes to say to me ‘just wing it’ 😂
RECIPE: Spiced Red pepper, Carrot and Lentil Soup
SERVES: 2 (just play around with the recipe if you want to make any extra or a smaller batch)
PREP TIME: 10 mins
COOK TIME: 35 mins
- 1 large onion
- 3 medium carrots
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- ½ cup red lentils (I just poured them in until I was happy)
- 1 glove garlic
- 2 cups of vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¾ tsp Garam masala
- ¾ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper (add more if you want it hot)
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A sprinkle of thyme to garnish
You will need a blender or food processor for this.
- Peel and dice the onion, carrots, red pepper and garlic.
- Heat the oil in a medium to large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook gently for 5 minutes – the onion should have softened, be careful not to burn it.
- Add the garlic, carrots and pepper along with the spices.
- Cook and continue to stir for a few more minutes
- Rinse the red lentils and add to the pan with the vegetable stock
- Bring to the boil then turn down to simmer with the lid on for about 20 mins – stir occasionally and make sure all the veg and lentils have softened.
- Remove from the heat (NOTE: most blenders/food processors will not stand boiling hot food so you may need to let it cool for a while)
- Add the salt and pepper to taste before adding the contents into your blender. Blend until smooth and then return to the pan and put over medium heat.
- Once it has reached the temperature you desire, serve out and garnish with thyme.
I hope you enjoyed blogmas day 6 and please do let me know if you try this recipe, I’d love to know how it turned out and what your thoughts were! If you’ve got any recipe requests, maybe you’ve got a favourite ingredient that you want incorporating into more recipes then pop it in the comments below or drop me a message over on my social channels – I am active on Instagram everyday so you can catch me on there whenever or just follow along to get daily life and blog updates. I absolutely love hearing from you and I’m even more happy to write about things that you actually want to find out or read about.
Again, thank you for the ongoing support on here and over on instagram. I’ve got lots of exciting, crafty and Christmassy content coming up for the rest of this month so stay tuned 😘