RECIPE: Vanilla, White Choc and Peppermint Frosted Cupcakes
Source: Mary Berry Cupcake recipe
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Last Christmas I was lucky enough to be treated to a few new baking tools. I’ve been wanting to become a little more adventurous in my baking and learn a few new skills – to some people this recipe isn’t very challenging, however compared to my usual loaf cakes and choc chip cookies, this is very different. I decided I wanted to create a festive cupcake and got researching. I came across Mary Berry’s easy cupcake recipe and decided to put a festive twist on it. With inspiration from last years white chocolate and peppermint hot chocolate, here is a delicious and simple recipe to bake delicious cupcakes with a festive twist for around Christmas time. Enjoy!
For the cupcakes
• 175g butter at room temperature (cut into blocks)
• 175g self-raising flour
• 175g caster sugar
• ½ tsp. baking powder
• ½ tsp. vanilla extract
• 3 large eggs
• White cooking chocolate to melt and dip the cupcakes in
For the Buttercream Frosting
• 175g butter at room temperature
• 350g icing sugar
• ½ tsp. peppermint extract
• 3 tbsp. milk
• 5-6 drops of green edible colouring
• Crushed candy cane
To make the cupcakes
• Preheat your oven to 180℃/gas mark 4.
• Line a 12-hole muffin tin with muffin cases.
• Put all cake ingredients into a large bowl and beat with an electric hand whisk or a wooden spoon until smooth and evenly mixed.
• Evenly divide the mixture between the muffin cases.
• Bake for 20 – 25 minutes, or until the cakes are well risen and firm on top.
• Transfer cupcakes to a wire rack to cool.
To make the buttercream frosting
• Put the butter, peppermint extract, 2 tbsp. milk and ½ the icing sugar into a large bowl.
• Beat until smooth.
• Beat in the remaining icing sugar.
• Poor in the remaining milk as needed to create the correct consistency.
• Add the green colouring and combine.
To decorate (15 minutes)
• Melt the chocolate and dip the tops of each cupcake in, allow to cool a minute in the fridge.
• Pipe on frosting
• Crush up a candy cane and sprinkle on top. Voila!
Don’t forget you can still get your hands on the Christmas ‘Sleigh’ it planner which features 6 recipe inserts to save your favourite festive recipes! Shop here…